Thursday, January 24, 2008

Got "Milk"

It started last night. I was taking the bus home from work...drowsy, only half-paying attention...anticipating my stop. I took notice of a colorful, retro record shop passing by from my darkened window. "Where did that record shop come from?" I wondered. "I'll have to check it out.....wait a sec....what neighborhood am I in? Am I on the right bus...?" But then I saw the pet food shop and realized my stop was indeed coming. I got off the bus and forgot all about it.



Today, I worked at home. I had to go to the bank....but when I got there, the ATM machines were blocked by some very large plants. A lot of people were standing around. "What's with the plants?" I asked. "They're filming a movie," said one person. I stepped around the plants to use the machine.

On the way home, I ran into a friend. She told me that they were filming a Gus Van Sant movie and only then--after she pointed out the old signage that now appears on a hip new wine-tasting shop -- did I start to notice how the street had been transformed with fake, rather drab 1970s storefronts and big, old cars and people who looked like 21st-century hippies. And there was that record shop again..."Aquarius Records," which was actually an existing shop that normally has something else inside of it (what, I can't remember). Everything looked a little bit different and more dilipidated than it's becoming already in 2008 with the current homeless problem.

Someone asked us to step across the street and they filmed a take while we watched. I think I saw Sean Penn, dressed up to look like Harvey Milk, standing in front of a shop that looked like an old campaign headquarters.

Cool! Was I the last to know about this?

3 comments:

SFKelly said...

A friend told me about it last week. Apparently the movie is also heavily underwriting the fixing-up of the Castro Theater sign, including new wiring for the troubled neon.

Also in today's Chron there was a piece in the gossip column about an open casting call for extras!

attitune said...

There should be no problem finding extras who look like people in the 1970s in this town.

You should see the street between 18th and 19th! The Thai House has a sign on it that's transformed it back into "China Court," only the sign looks much worse than the one I remember on the original China Court restaurant.

And Swirl has this old liquor store sign on it now, complete with blinking neon. There's even a storefront covered with stapled handbills. I wish I'd taken photos...but I'm sure that someone will.

Unknown said...

Hey! You are really really cool at recognizing - or really really cool at research. GvS is filming right now, a movie named "Milk", with SP as Harvey Milk...
And greetings from Switzerland!
(btw, I doubt that photoshop 1.0 is a collector's item. You would first need to find a machine still able to run it - AND do with the average photo size provided by modern cameras. I'm not even sure whether this machine would be a collector's item...) ;-)