Sunday, August 24, 2008

Livin' la vida local

During the past few years, I've spent part of my summer in Paris. This year, however, I couldn't do it logistically or financially. But I realized that -- in some ways, anyway -- I can live in my own hometown in a similar way that I can when I'm in Paris.

So I took the metro to the local farmer's market on Saturday (the open market at the ferry building downtown) and loaded up on produce and goodies...then made a feast for myself at home of local dry-farmed tomatoes (the most amazing tomatoes you'll ever eat!), fresh basil, mozzarella, garlic curd (from the local Spring Hill Creamery...garlic curd sounds weird, but it's delicious), olive oil, and balsamic glaze. The result? Delicious.

I live in a cool city, too, and there are lots of local things to enjoy. For now, if I'm missing Paris, I can just turn on TV5 Monde and pretend...

No comments: