Wednesday, December 24, 2008

The un-supermarket

I like to shop for food in places where I feel like I'm doing something good for my health, and where I don't feel like I'm on a torture track. That's why I try to avoid bad shopping experiences like the one I wrote about at Safeway, and also why I avoid going to giant stores like Costco-- where you wait for 30 minutes in long queues of people who've loaded rolling flatbed wagons full of processed food and often, sadly, look like they eat too much of it.

So I go to places like Rainbow Grocery or Bi-Rite foods, where the produce is local and the stock looks well-maintained and thoughtful, and where the staff greets you and asks you if you need any help. When you're in the wine section, they'll ask you what kind of wine you'd like and then make suggestions. The same with the cheese, and so on.



It really seems like they care that you find the right stuff and that you're happy about it. So I don't mind spending a little extra money at these stores because I know what I'm getting, I know I will like it, and I don't get punished for being there. Even the people at the checkstands (and yes, they seem to have more working checkout people than the giant Safeway does!) seem to be in good moods, and they greet you with friendly conversation. The line moves quickly and you don't feel like you've sacrificed half your day trying to get through the store. And it's kind of fun to look around and see what they have to offer.

I think I'll go back to Safeway soon and go through the "downer cow" experience there again, just to see if anything's changed during these past few months, or if the economic downturn has also created more of a "breadline" vibe there, as well. Anyone want to join me for this social/anthropological excursion?

No comments: