Thursday, August 30, 2007

The Laundry Challenge

Anyone who's ever stayed in another country long enough to do laundry knows what it's like to be confronted with a laundry machine that speaks a different language than yours. Well, today, I decided to go downstairs in the apartment building and visit the Swiss laundry machine. After all, it's still cold out, and I only have two pairs of long pants. So I have to wash the dirty pair again.

First, I had to decide: is this the right soap? Is it soap at all? Luckily, the product labels are also in French, and this looks OK and not like bleach or something.

Then there's the control dashboard...what buttons should I choose to get ready for takeoff?

Then there's the soap tray....three slot options....hmmmmm. I think if I pour the soap in the middle slot, that should be OK.

Finally, after I make my selections, will the machine just start? What's the button with the "key" symbol on it? It turns out that opens the door again. Well, it looks like the machine is starting on its own...I looked up "Haupt" and I think this means "leader wash" or maybe "pre-wash"?




No comments: