Saturday, October 11, 2008

Borough Market, Spitalfields, and more

On Friday, I went with John to the Borough Market-- a large assortment of cheeses, fresh fish and meat, sausaages, produce, mulled wine, and various other goodies for sale. It was in a massive semi-open-air space and was pretty amazing to see. We met his friends Jayme and Tyler (who joined us on his lunch break) and then afterwards, Jayme, her new baby, and I took the tube to Spitalfields market...more stalls of things to look at, but mostly clothes this time, not food. I saw some really cool coats that would be highly impractical back home, but looked fantastic, and even a few casual dresses that were very funky-artsy, distinctly British, and almost enough to make me wear one myself. I was with Jayme for a momentous occasion: the first time her daughter laughed. I snapped a photo of them both shortly thereafter.

Then Jayme showed me Brick Lane, a street lined with Indian restaurants, Beigel Bake (a bagel shop), and various other interesting -looking stuff, and then we hopped a bus back again. I wandered around in Soho, trying to get my bearings. However, I've found that I really need to pay attention when I cross the street, because I'm still looking in the wrong direction whenever I cross, and the London drivers seem to come from every possible direction, anyway.

That evening, John, Jan, and I went to The Red Fort for another outrageously good Indian dinner...including more Bollinger, which I'm going to miss when I return home....it's in short supply there. After dinner, John and I walked through Mayfair and looked in shop windows on Saville Row and other upscale locales. I took about 50 photos on Friday....these are just a handful.












No comments: