Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The Haircut

Today I decided to get my haircut. I'd already scoped out the shop in the Bastille where I decided to go. The people there seemed really nice. They don't speak English -- really, most people here don't unless they work in the tourist industry -- so I decided to make a little photo display of what I want in a haircut and what I don't want, based on photos from my laptop. So I put together a quick little iMovie of what I wanted with this haircut -- with French titling -- put it on my video iPod, and off I went to get my hair cut.

I gave instructions in French as best as I could. The movie with photos was just for a backup, to prevent misunderstandings. How many people do you know make a movie and put it on their iPod to show their hairdresser? Anyway, the haircut was amazing. She did everything I asked her to do...and she worked on my hair like it was a work of art, then styled it afterwards with products. It's really short, but I'm in a very-short-hair phase. It was amazing, and the whole experience cost me only 30 euros....less than what it costs at home.

It rained like cats and dogs today. I went shopping for books at Gibert Jeune -- getting soaked head to toe in the process -- and then stopped by the supermarket. I just love the yogurt sections in the French supermarkets. It's not just a section...it's normally a whole aisle: every possible flavor and texture, for breakfast, for dessert, for whatever. For people like me who eat yogurt every day for breakfast, this is heaven.

Tonight I'm meeting a musician whose group I've included in a podcast last year. I'm hoping that my little recording device on my iPod will enable me to get an interview from him that I can use in a special edition broadcast. Wish me luck!


No comments: